Medical Negligence Compensation Claims
Medical Negligence Compensation Claims

Pressure sores compensation claims

If you or a family member has suffered as a result of pressure sores or bedsores caused by negligent nursing care, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Pressure sores, also known as bedsores, are reddened areas of the skin, which often feel tender to touch. The most FAQcommon areas of the body that people end up with pressure sores are on the heels, ankles, spine, buttocks or shoulders.

To begin with, the area may be red and sore, progressively becoming darker and more painful. If the pressure is not relieved to improve circulation and the sores treated effectively, they can become deeper and infected. Blisters can form and the skin and tissue may die and break down.

Pressure sores are a graded injury:

Any patient entering hospital that may be at risk of bedsores should be risk assessed using either the Waterlow assessment or NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) guidelines. These are used to help to create a nursing care programme specifically tailored to the patient to avoid the onset of this painful condition.  For example, a nursing care programme should provide for the redistribution of pressure on the body by regular repositioning of the patient and if necessary provision of appropriate support surfaces and pressure relieving devices

Pressure sores should be avoided through the correct care of nursing staff and if a patient is bed ridden or facing life in a wheelchair they should be moved every couple of hours to ensure that they are lying in a different position; failure to do this indicates a lack of care and ultimately results in pressure sores occurring.

If a health professional does break this duty of care or fails to notice the on set of pressure sores then you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Back to top

How much can I claim?

A number of factors will determine the value of your settlement:

What can I claim compensation for?

Making a claim for compensation

A specialist medical negligence solicitor can assess your case and inform you about: